Best Books I've Read This Year (so far!)


For today's top ten topic, The Broke and The Bookish are asking us to choose our favourite ten books from those we've read so far in 2013. I didn't realize what a good reading year it has been until I started making the list.

Here are my top ten, in no particular order:

The Bridge of San Louis Rey (Thornton Wilder) - Unusual story, wonderful writing. Won the Pulitzer Prize 1929.  If you haven't read it, do!

The End of Your Life Book Club (Will Schwalbe) - a beautiful account of the books he and his mother shared in the last months of her life. Warm, insightful and very well told.

I Capture The Castle (Dodie Smith) - I absolutely loved this story of a girl and her somewhat odd family living in a run down castle in rural England. So glad I found it.

The Great Gatsby (F. Scott Fitzgerald) - I never get tired of this book

The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini) - great writing, amazing story

The Return of the Prodigal Son (Henry Nouwen) - beautiful, eye-opening, profound

Elizabeth The Queen  (Sally Bedell Smith) - reading this was a highlight of my year!

You Don’t Look Like Anyone I Know (Heather Sellers) - true story of living with face blindness. Fascinating.

Middlemarch (George Eliot) - I had been warned I'd be bored but that didn't happen. I loved it!

Sophie’s World (Jostein Gaarder) - an incredible novel that includes within the story a history of philosophy. This one went on my list of "Best Books I've Ever Read".
  


How about you? What are your favourites from the first half of 2013?

5 comments:

Sash and Em said...

Great Gatsby - you can never go wrong with a book like that :)

Addicted to Films said...

I read I Capture the Castle a few years ago. I love it. I love it. I love it. :)

Unknown said...

The End of your Life Book Club is a must read and I have yet to read it :( Need to get on it stat! Great selection :)

My TTT: http://www.bookythoughtsandme.com/top-ten-books-ive-read-so-far-in-2013/

Judith said...

I'm so very glad to find someone who enjoyed Elizabeth the Queen by Sally Bedell Smith. I simply loved it and learned so much. I listened to it as an audiobook and it made my long commutes to work a breeze. I was sad to part with it and would have enjoyed knowing more.

I also loved I Capture the Castle and hope that it will continue to be widely read. My mother put me on to it because she had read it in her young adulthood.

Enjoyed the selection!

Judith (Reader in the Wilderness)

Slackerjo said...

This is the 3rd site that has recommended I Capture the Castle. I guess I should get it out of the library.

So far the best this year - Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. So inventive, funny and wonderful dialogue.

Post a Comment

 

www.123lawsuitsloans.com