Top Ten Tuesday



Hosted by The Broke and The Bookish, today's Top Ten topic is: Your Top Ten favourite reads involving travel.

I'm a big fan of travel memoirs so this was easy. What isn't easy is finding new travel books to read that are about someplace other than France or Italy. I would love to read about other countries: Germany, Holland, Sweden, Switzerland, Belgium, Denmark, Greece, Norway, Australia, Greenland, Iceland, Egypt, Croatia, Turkey, etc  - but I’ve found very little about those countries other than travel guides, which aren't much fun unless you're actually traveling in that country. In January of each year, my book club reads a travel memoir, then gets together for a dinner and discussion, with everyone bringing a dish native to the country we’re reading about. Unfortunately we appear to be running out of books! There are lots on France and Italy but we need more variety. We’ve found a handful but if you know of more that aren’t on this list, please leave a comment - we’d be very grateful!  Here are my top ten travel books:

1. A Year In Provence by Peter Mayle (France)
2. Toujours Provence by Peter Mayle (France)          
3. Encore Provence by Peter Mayle (France)                                    
4. A Trip To The Beach  by Melinda Blanchard and Robert Blanchard (Anguilla)
5. A House in Corfu by Emma Tennant  (Greece)
6. England for All Seasons by Susan Allan Toth (England)
7. Paris My Sweet by Amy Thomas (France)
8. Walking The Bible - Bruce Feiler (Middle East)           
9. Under The Tuscan Sun - Frances Mayes (Italy)
10. The Caliph’s House - Tahir Shah (Morocco)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE memoirs, and I haven't read one travel memoir, so I'm definitely going to be looking these books up! Thanks for the new suggestions! :)

Mine's over at http://suchanovelidea.wordpress.com

Ordinary Reader said...

Start with the Provence books by Peter Mayle. You will love them! Thanks for stopping by.

Sue Jackson said...

Wow, I haven't read any of these yet! I need to get busy!!

Sue


Book By Book

Big Book Summer Challenge

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

You will be sorry you asked! I love travel books, so I've tried various challenges with them, including the Around the World in 80 Books Challenge. Some of these are fiction rather than nonfiction, but I think you will find plenty of travel narratives to keep your book group busy!

Booksnyc said...

Running Away to Home is about a family that goes to live in Croatia. That is the only one I can think of for the countries you mention above.

Ordinary Reader said...

Sue, I just got three new titles from your Top Ten post. Thanks!

Deb, I will never be sorry I asked. I feel like it's Christmas. A thousand thanks!

Booksnyc, I am thrilled to find a book set in that part of the world. I've been looking for a long time. Thank you so much!

Post a Comment

 

www.123lawsuitsloans.com