"Tunnels"

Tunnels by Roderick Gordon and Brian Williams

Will Burrows, 14 years old, is a lot like his father. He loves digging for archeological finds and spends all his free time working with his dad in a series of tunnels beneath the city of London. Then strange things begin to happen. Weird looking people are showing up too often wherever Will and his Dad happen to be. An object is found that is unlike anything ever seen before. And one day, Mr. Burrows is simply gone with no explanation. Will and a friend set out to find him and discover a whole world they never new existed, a world where their lives are in constant danger.

The story moves along quickly with lots of action and some surprising turns, one so unexpected my jaw actually dropped. I didn't think any authour could still surprise me like that. This is a page-turner, one that has my granddaughter absolutely hooked and now I see why. Eventually this will be a series of six; she's read four now and is on pins and needles (oh dear, I've dated myself with that expression haven't I?) waiting for the fifth.

I must admit I wasn't expecting such a good book, mainly because my recent experience with books for younger readers has been, let's say, less than satisfying. For one thing so many of them are about vampires. In fact most of what I see online and in stores are paranormal romances. I can take the romance as long as there is more to the plot than just that, but I am heartily sick of vampires. I don't want to watch them, read about them or even hear about them any more. I'm vampired up to here (indicating top of head)!

Another reason I've been avoiding Y.A. novels is the writing style. I don't like it when books are dumbed down for anybody. Young readers are young, not dumb, and too many writers treat them like they can't be trusted to handle intelligent writing. I was glad to find within a page or two that these authours give their readers credit for some intelligence by giving them good writing to read.

As for the plot itself, there are a few too many slimy things, slugs, vomit and foul smells for me, but I'm not young and was always queasy about such things anyway. These writers know their audience and do a great job of telling this story for them.

For those who are considering this book for their kids I should tell you there are a few spots where God's name is used as a curse word. Two or three at most I think. That won't be an issue for everyone, but if it is for you at least you know beforehand.

I probably won't read the rest of the series simply because the story doesn't appeal to me, but that's only if my granddaughter doesn't ask me to. If she wants me to read them so we can talk about them later, I will. There's not much I won't do to get them reading more.  Otherwise it's back to "Old Adult" books for me, but I am open to trying more Y. A. books now. This one was a nice surprise.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

www.123lawsuitsloans.com