The Novel

 The Novel by James A. Michener


It's been years since I've picked up a James A. Michener novel. Back in the 70s and 80s, before online used bookstores were a thing, I'd buy the biggest, thickest novels I could find to get as much reading for my money as possible. Michener's books offered epic stories in which I could immerse myself for a few days and which were usually set in places, times, cultures, or industries about which I could learn something while I read. I picked up this copy just as I'd finished a couple of disappointing reads, knowing it had to be better and looking forward to learning a bit about the world of publishing. Granted this is a fictional world, but Michener was known for his in-depth research so I trust him to know what he's talking about. 

The book is divided into four sections: The Writer-Lucas Yoder (108 pgs), The Editor-Yvonne Marmelle (74 pgs), The Critic-Karl Streibert (158 pgs), and The Reader-Jane Garland (103 pgs). You can see the critic gets the most attention, and I confess there were moments when I grew weary of Mr. Streibert, still this was the section I found most interesting. Getting their four different points of view on what literature is and isn't; learning a little about the publishing and marketing processes; and seeing how writer, editor, critic, and reader depend on, and spar with, each other was enlightening. In addition to all that, it was a good story with well fleshed-out characters and decent writing. 

I'd like to have another one on my shelf, maybe The Source. I read it a long time ago and remember being quite impressed with it, though I remember little of it now. Michener wrote over 40 books, including his Pulitzer Prize winning, Tales of the South Pacific, so there's lots to choose from. The guy sure could tell a story.   

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

www.123lawsuitsloans.com