The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles
A road-trip story, of sorts.
Emmett and his little brother, Billy, set out for California to make a new start. Emmett has just been released from a juvenile detention center, their father has died, and the farm he left them is about to be sold by the bank after foreclosure.Enter Duchess and Wooly, escapee bunkmates of Emmett from the detention center. Just as Emmett and Billy get underway, the other two steal Emmett's car and the long adventure of trying to get it back begins. They meet a number of different people along the way including a Pastor who tries to steal Billy's collection of silver dollars; Ulysses, a boxcar-riding man who protects Billy from the Pastor and is then hunted down for revenge; a group of colourful women who help Duchess in his scheme to delay Emmett; the author of Billy's book of heroic stories; and Sarah, Wooly's patient but frustrated (with good reason) sister.
The story is great with lots of characters and (mis-) adventures, but my oh my, how it does go on...and on. I became tired of Duchess very quickly. He reminded me of Tom Sawyer with his foolishness getting in everybody's way and serving nobody but himself. But as Huck put up with Tom, Emmett puts up with Duchess...until he doesn't.
Possible spoiler alert -
Things take a darker turn toward the end when two of the characters lose their lives. You are left to wonder...Who was untimately responsible for the deaths? Was the ending reasonable? Believable? Will Emmett and Billy get away with no consequences? Should Emmett?
My only real complaint is that I was looking forward to the road trip to California story but it begins only as the book ends, the rest of it being about trying to get the trip started. They are delayed, and delayed again, and again, by Duchess' folly and I was as frustrated as Emmett was (maybe more) by all of it. It's an immersive story, good writing, with some wonderful characters (Wooly and Billy are perfect) but that wasn't enough to make me love it. I don't regret the time I invested (it's 576 pages long) because it is a good story, but I am relieved to be done with it.
0 comments:
Post a Comment