The Reading List


The Reading List by Sara Nisha Adams

Alishia, 17, works at the Harrow Road Library in London and lives with her brother, Aiden, and their chronically unwell mother who can't be left alone. Mukesh, a senior, is grieving the loss of his beloved wife, Naina, while trying to fend off three grown daughters determined to run his life. 

While working in the library, Alishia finds a handwritten note with the words "In case you need it" written across the top and then a list of books - 



She has no idea who wrote the list or why but she tucks it away in case someone comes looking for it. In the meantime when Mukesh, who has never been much of a reader, comes to the library looking for a book recommendation, Alisha is stressed and irritable with him. Later, regretting how she treated him, she decides to read the first book on the list and if it's good, then maybe she will recommend it to Mukesh. 

As they and a few others begin reading through the list, they find the words and actions of the books' characters affecting how they see themselves and how they respond to the people around them. The books change them individually, but also start a friendship between Alishia and Mukesh that will become important to them, their families, and to the library.  

I listened to an audio version and was sorry when it came to an end. Not that the ending is sad, it actually comes to quite a satisfying conclusion, but I miss the rhythm of Mukesh's accent and even Mukesh himself. He's a loveable character, and Alishia, when you get to know her and her life, is someone you'll root for, too. Really there's nobody to dislike in this story, oh maybe a little at first but they all redeem themselves in the end - and isn't that refreshing?

It's a lovely story that thankfully avoids becoming too sweet or sentimental. Alishia and Mukesh struggle with difficult situations in their lives that are both relatable and realisticly written. I suppose there are moments when Mukesh seems a little too good to be true, but I'd like to believe there are men like him in the world so I'm buying it. 

I would have liked a bit more discussion about the books, but as it was I enjoyed it very much. So much, in fact, that I think I'll get a hard copy for my shelf so I can loan it out to some of the other readers in my life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

www.123lawsuitsloans.com