The Sacred Romance

 The Sacred Romance by Brent Curtis & John Eldredge

This was my second time though this one and I feel I got more out of it this time. It's funny how you can read the same book at different stages of life and they'll mean completley different things to you. I've been cataloguing my books this winter and have found several that need re-reading simply because so much has changed since I first read them. I've changed, and I want to see what they have to say to me where I am, and who I am, now. 

The Sacred Romance speaks of the longing we all have to be cherished by someone, and how God woos us to come to hIm for that deep love that we so need. The authors tell stories from their own lives and the lives of others to illustrate how we settle for lesser things and miss out on the best love story of all.  

They talk about what they call "the arrows", the hits we take throughout our lives that try to convince us we are forgotten or abandoned, alone. When we look at the arrows that have hurt us and made us question the goodness - or even the existence - of God, we can begin to see where we've made wrong assumptions about him and to understand that he has been with us the whole time. 

The book's subtitle is "Drawing Closer to the Heart of God". It's a phrase so often used in the advertising of books, music, spiritual retreats, etc., that I've become numb to the words and don't pay them much attention anymore. My ususal thought is yeah, yeah, they all say that. I don't know what drew me to this book years ago, but I can tell you that what it offers is real. I have drawn closer to the heart of God through it, and it's become one of those special books that I can pick up anytime and find encouragement just by reading what I've underlined previously.  

This is a book I can recommend wholeheartly; I hope you will read it and be blessed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

www.123lawsuitsloans.com